Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Puke...It seperates the men from the boys...

At roughly 4:00 a.m. (ish) the boy crawled into my bed and told me his tummy hurt. "I think I just have to go poop." After doing his business he crawls back into my bed and snuggles in behind me. That's the most wonderful feeling when his arms wrap around me and he says, "I love you mom."

And while still in the glow of that touching sentiment he makes a strange sound. "Did you just puke?", and then the second unmistakable Blaughhaaa (what is the phonetic spelling for the sound of a 5 yr old puking?). "Yep, you puked."

I learned a major difference between girls and boys last night. When the girls got sick in the middle of the night it was my job to stand there and hold there hair out of their face. With a boy I stand there, but there's nothing to do. I just felt dumb and useless. (At 4:00 a.m. I am dumb and useless.)

But this is about my husband. The most amazing man on Earth! Not only did he get up and help our boy get his teeth brushed but he cleaned up all the places where puke didn't hit the target. And then he stripped the bed, and put it all in the wash (even asked what temp and setting on the washer). After I cleaned the mattress he went into the garage and got his big extention cord. At that point the boy was puking again. While I stood next to him, feeling dumb and useless, I wondered where the big extention cord fit in.

And then I heard my hair dryer. He dried the mattress for me! What a man!

2 Comments:

Blogger Neal said...

What a great story Vicky :-) I have to be honest and say that I would have done -- and have done -- all the same things as well, with the exception of the hairdryer, which is a stroke of "man genius" (a term that I just this moment invented). He hasn't been watching The Incredibles lately has he? The image of him drying your mattress reminds of the scene where Bob is drying all the books after the sprinklers go off ...

Hope your little boy feels better soon.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Logan C. Adams said...

Ahhh, the memories of the occasional childhood spew. I'm glad the mess was easy to clean up, unlike the time when I was a kid and couldn't keep my mouth covered for the mad dash down two hallways to the bathroom. My mom actually went and opened up (at midnight) the hardware store where she works and got a rug cleaner because no one could sleep with the stench. I'm pretty certain they still hate me for that one.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home