Saturday, October 15, 2005

One in Every Crowd...

I'm a soccer mom. I didn't want to admit it at first. Somehow, believed I would be admitting conformity if I allowed myself to be labeled a Soccer Mom. I don't drive a mini-van or an SUV. I don't bring snacks (healthy or otherwise) to the game. I laugh and cheer (mostly laugh) at the teams as they face off each Saturday. I tape nearly every game (the batteries crapped out right before one game and I ran out of tape today - I'm sorry son; our medical insurance has a pretty decent mental health benefit - should you need it.)

Its a team of 5 year olds (mostly - some younger). Its three on three - no goalie and no scoring. Its an absolute blast to watch them play. But there's a Stage Mother in every crowd.

One of the moms has the ability to annoy absolutely everyone within a 20 foot radius and totally beats my last nerve! I thought I could multi-task. I got nothin' on her. During the games she's on her cell phone, coaching/disciplining her son from the sidelines and having an argument with her husband - all at the same time.

I wonder...is it really the kids that need ADHD drugs? Is it remotely possible that a good handful of their parents could be the ones that need a little pharmacological assistance?

On the way home it dawned on me - next spring the boy will be in both soccer and t-ball. What the hell was I thinking? If there's at least one in every crowd...odds are that I get to have 2 stage mom types - 4 times a week.

That's a lot of meddling motherhood folks! Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger SafeTinspector said...

I am ADHD, and I take Ritalin during work hours to prevent me from screwwing everything up and causing mass chaos at my business.
But, as my wife will tell you in frustration, I don't take it in the evenings or on weekends.
My 4-year old daughter and I become the Two Headed Monster of Random Object Redistribution

6:03 AM  
Blogger Vicky Hawthorne said...

My daughters' half sisters are ADHD also. They take it during the day, during the school year, but at night or on weekends. What is it about the drug that has you using it in that way?

Random Object Redistribution would make a really great name for a garage band.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home