Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The One Really Sucky Thing...

...about the holiday season is the office holiday party. I hate this ritual and here's why:
  1. Potluck. Need I say more here? This should be called "The Sea of Brown Food" Day! How many things can a person put French's Fried Onions in/on?
  2. Green Bean Casseroles. It deserves it's own entry.
  3. That guy - that EVERYONE knows he doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom/picking his nose/and/or/wedgy - he's the first in line and has to touch every bit of food before he puts anything on his plate.
  4. That other guy that you suspect doesn't wash his hands long enough AND he smells everything before he'll put it on his plate.
  5. Dirty Santa
  6. The obligitory Dirty Santa gifts. It used to be a $5.00 OR LESS gift. Each year the cost seems to go up and up. This year the email said "...and start thinking about that $7 - $15 gift." Don't tell anyone, but just for spite I went to Dollar Tree this year. I suspect that most of the folks in my office will do the same thing - so I don't know why the guy that organizes this 45 minutes of hell tries to push the threshold.

Don't get me wrong. I love this season. I love the lights and the music (to a point). I love how for just a little while people go out of their way to be good to each other. Charitable donations/volunteer hours increase and we think more about how we can be better people. We get to see people we haven't seen in a long time.

And finally # 7. The one guy (see #6) that gives a crap about this stupid tradition. I have no idea why we continue to humor this guy....we are sheep!

1 Comments:

Blogger Neal said...

Have to agree with you Vicky. I must say, we get off pretty lightly in the office I'm in at the moment, but I have worked in offices in the past where you have to go through all the motions. What I particularly object to is the pressure you are put under to go to just one more meal, one more party, splash out just a bit more cash, just at the one point in the year when you can afford such unnecessary expenses the least!

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home